Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Creative Spotlight : Between The Folds

Photo credit: Chris K. Palmer/ greenfusefilms.com
“Much of the beauty that arises in art comes from the struggle an artist wages with his limited medium.”- Henri Matisse

The other day, I watched the documentary "Between the Folds" and I was absolutely blown away.

"Between the Folds" showcases the art of origami. The idea is simple: create a sculpture by manipulating a flat piece of paper. In origami, no cutting and no glue are allowed. And although I remember a student teaching me to fold a simple crane in elementary school, I had no idea how far the art of origami has come!

The documentary did appeal to my scientific side -- I did major in Chemistry after all -- but I think what impressed me the most was the sheer tenacity of most of the artists (scientists?) featured. An artist would fold a subject repeatedly until the desired affect was reached because the artist could see that it was possible. And I was so inspired by the scientist Dr. Erik D. Demaine who explained the reasoning behind his fascination with folding paper. It was simple to him: folding paper was fun. The math was fun for him, but the art was fun, too. And that was what has driven him to be one of the most brilliant minds of our time.

Watch the documentary and be inspired to follow your passion...

1 comment: