Thursday, June 16, 2011

Honey Bee Poster

My son and I had a fun time working on a school science project together. His assignment was to create something visual to present to his class that would teach the other kids about a particular insect. The Honey Bee was his choice, and he wanted to make a poster; most kids were making posters and he wanted to make one, too. This was an extremely quick and imperfect creative project, mostly because my son had to do a lot of work on this himself and lets face it, first graders don't have that long of an attention span.

This was our finished result:




Materials:
  • 1 large sheet of black poster board
  • 1 large sheet of yellow poster board
  • 3 sheets orange paper (we used Stardream Text in Flame because it has a bit of sparkle)
  • 2 sheets bronze glitter card stock (we used open stock sheets from Michaels)
  • Some 4" photocopied pictures of bees in a variety of "poses"
  • hexagon templates for tracing (I printed two hexagons using Microsoft Word's shape tool, one about 4" and the other a tad smaller about 3.75")
  • scissors
  • glue and/or double-sided tape
  • paper hole punch

I started by having my son decide on seven facts he wanted to share with his class. I took these facts in his own words and I used a computer to print them on the orange paper. These could also be written by hand by either you or your child. Next I used the smaller hexagon template to trace around each fact. My son then cut the fact hexagons out.

I also traced the smaller hexagon template onto the back of the glitter card stock sheets. My son also worked to cut these out. (I did need to help him some with this -- glitter card stock is pretty thick!) The glitter card stock represented the sparkly honey in the honeycomb.

Next I had my son go through some books we checked out from the library to find picture versions of the facts he wished to share with the class. Once found, I photocopied the pictures to fit in a 4" space and traced the smaller hexagon onto the photo for cutting out.



While my son was busy cutting out all the pieces, I went to work on the honeycomb. I took the yellow poster board and traced a bunch of larger hexagonal shapes in a honeycomb pattern. Next, beginning on the outside hexagons and working my way to the middle, I cut the shapes out. I used a hole punch to begin the cut in the corners of the hexagons, poked my scissors into the holes and cut them out.

Once all the pieces were cut, we began gluing and taping the pieces onto the black piece of poster board. We affixed the honeycomb to the poster board first and then attached the smaller pieces. Because all of the pieces were cut smaller than the honeycomb, there was a thin black edge around each piece. We tried to make sure each written fact had a photo of the fact right next to it.


We used a piece of orange paper to create a title for the poster. Again, I used a computer for this, but one can write this out by hand if needed. My son found a great photo of a honey bee with it's body parts labeled and he wanted to use it for one of his "bee facts". I enlarged it on a copy machine so it would look like it lived on the honeycomb. We cut these last pieces out and attached them to the poster.


And that was it! Lots of cutting, taping, and gluing, but we ended up with, what I think was, a very creative honey bee poster to share with the class.


The glitter card stock was a big hit. My son said his poster got a lot of "wows" from his classmates. Personally, I just had fun creating something together with my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment