Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Beginning

Over the last couple of years, I've come the the realization that I have a physical need to express myself creatively. Let me elaborate.

I've always felt driven to go a little overboard whenever I plan something that requires even the slightest bit of creativity. A project that shouldn't take much effort, like Christmas cards for example, always ends up turning into some grand artistic endeavor. My inner thought process might go something like this:

I need Christmas cards.
I always send out handmade cards, so I better get going and make some.
People already saw that design, I need to try something completely different.
I already have cardstock. What can I make out of it?
The cardstock is a funky color, what the heck was I thinking?
Maybe if I add sparkles the color will make sense.
But where am I going to put the family photo if I add sparkles?
How am I going to fit the annual letter in a card that's shaped like this?
What font do I want to use on the envelopes?
I need different stamps -- these don't go with my card's theme.
Looks good! Now I just need to make a hundred more...

And so I launch into my task. Something that should take me no time at all, crowds my brain with idea upon idea until the artistic dam in my brain finally bursts into the cascading waterfall of creative expression no one saw coming. But that's just me. I can't help it. I try to scale back, I really do, but when I do, the ideas are still there in my brain, taunting me to do something with them. And it's difficult, because it's not like I can sit in my studio and wax creative all day long; I actually need to do normal things like doing laundry and cleaning up after the kids.

So here I am. I have a lot of ideas and I think people might benefit from some of them. I'm also in the process of finding ways of keeping my raging creative mind in artistic therapy from day to day. Feel free to share anything that works for you, and I'll try to do the same. In the meantime, I will try to post every little creative project I complete.

Let the creative purge begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment