Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Green Pig Cupcake Toppers


I made evil green pigs to top the cupcakes for my son's Angry Birds party but since I never took any photos of the process, I couldn't post directions for making the pigs. Fortunately, I had some marshmallow fondant left over from making Hello Kitty heads for my daughter's cupcakes this week, and now I am able to include the directions for making the green pigs. Enjoy!

To create the green pigs, I used a marshmallow fondant recipe I found on allrecipes.com. The recipe calls for marshmallows, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla, but I also used Betty Crocker Classic Gel Food Colors to tint some of the fondant different colors and Wilton Food Writer Edible Color Markers for the black details of the face.

I tinted most of the fondant with green and a little bit of yellow to mimic the color of the pigs. I left a little bit of white aside for the pigs eyes. If you intend to make a "King Pig," leave out enough to mix a small bit yellow. After kneading the color into the fondant, I basically used the fondant like Play-doh. To the right I have each piece separated out: a green oval head, two small green balls for the ears, slightly larger and smaller balls to make up the snout, and two white balls for the eyes.




Next, I rolled the ear balls into short snakes, bent the snakes into a "u" shape...




... and attached them to the top of the oval head shape.




Then I flattened the larger of the snout pieces a bit and rolled the smaller piece into another snake...




... and attached them to the front of the pig's face.




Next, I flattened the white balls a bit and placed them on either side of the pig's snout.




Using the black edible marker, I added the last details of the pig's face. The color comes out of the marker pretty wet, so I suggest doing this step last to prevent smudging. The color eventually dried.




For the crown, I took two balls of yellow and rolled one out flat using one of the markers as a rolling pin.




I used a small knife to cut the flattened piece into a flat crown shape...




... and then I wrapped the crown shape around the ball.




A blue edible marker was used for adding blue "jewels" around the crown.




Then I added the crown to the top of the pig and "King Pig" was complete!



A few notes about working with the fondant:

  • The recipe yields quite a bit of fondant. I made 48 pigs and still had more than half of the fondant left. I'd recommend cutting the recipe in half... or making the pigs bigger. Had I thought of it, I would have just used the rest to make one huge pig. Maybe next time...
  • I waited to add the gel food coloring to the fondant until I had mixed up the fondant to the consistency I liked. It's normally easier to add the coloring while mixing the fondant together, but I didn't want to make up three separate batches of fondant for the three colors. So I mixed the fondant and then divided out portions for tinting yellow and green, then I kneaded the color into the pre-made fondant by hand. This was pretty easy, but be prepared -- it's a little messy.
  • At first I tried making these a few at a time and I found out that if I made too many it didn't work; the pieces got too dry and wouldn't stick to each other any more. I ended up with a few pigs that had ears and snouts that kept falling off. I'm not sure, but I might have mixed my fondant too dry, but either way, I recommend making them just a few at a time.
  • The fondant doesn't come out bright white. This didn't bother me, but if it bothers you, there is, indeed, such a thing as white food color gel. If you try this product out, let me know what you think!
  • I've read that marshmallow fondant can be kept covered and refrigerated for up to a month in advance. I haven't tested this yet, but since it's basically sugar, I don't know why it wouldn't keep that long.
  • The fondant pigs turned shinier when left out for awhile at room temperature. I didn't think this was a bad thing, but I wanted to give you a heads up.

I used pre-baked cupcakes from the grocery store and added the toppers myself. The pigs sat on top of little "fortresses" built of chocolate (classic Hershey's chocolate bars worked well). I set all of the cupcakes together on a table with King Pig cupcake sitting high above the other pigs on a plastic cup turned upside-down. And the birthday boy felt so special getting to eat the only pig wearing a crown!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the recipe, Im going to try making my fondant tonight so we can do the pigs tomorrow, do you know how far in advance before the party can I make the pigs???
    Thank you again, all of your posts are fantastic

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I missed your comment!

      I've made the fondant up to a month before the party and just stored it wrapped in plastic wrap in my fridge. I usually make the toppers sometime during the week before my party and placed them in a shallow baking dish covered in plastic again in my fridge. In the past I've used the same batch for parties a month apart and they were still perfect a month later!

      Delete