Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Paper Circle Garland


I've been seeing these circle garlands everywhere lately, and since we're having a huge pumpkin carving party this week, I thought it would be the perfect time to give this project a whirl. I've been a little scared of this project because I literally have never used a sewing machine. Seriously. Never. So I'm here to let you know that yes, even a beginner at sewing can make this circle garland. The beginning of my garland looks pretty gnarly, but after a couple of feet, I finally got the hang of it. I'll just hang the gnarly bit somewhere less noticeable...



Materials:

  • paper in desired color scheme (I used black, orange, green, and purple from my my recycled scrap papers)
  • circle hole punch (mine was 1.5")
  • thread in a contrasting color (I used black)
  • sewing machine
I began by using the circle hole punch to cut out a bunch of circles and then sorted the circles into piles by color.

Then, after settling on a pattern, I fed the circles through my sewing machine one at a time to create a chain of circles. The process went pretty quickly -- I slid a circle under the sewing machine's foot and as soon as sewing began on the circle, I immediately butted another circle behind it to keep the chain going. I kept doing this until I had the length of garland I needed for my space.

My garland is not perfect, but that's okay. It will be strung across my ceiling, so my guests probably won't get an up close view of the garland anyway. Besides, it's handmade; a little imperfection is part of the charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment