Friday, November 11, 2011

Tissue Paper Pumpkins


I've been meaning to give my kids an art lesson each week since our school system doesn't have a very good art program. As we were close to entering the last month of Fall, I realized I hadn't done many projects in celebration of the season with my kids yet. So I've decided to try to do a minimum of one art project a week with my kids. This was the first project we did right after Halloween.


The project didn't require much in terms of supplies. I used scraps of tissue paper I had leftover from our pumpkin party favors and cut them into little squares. The squares didn't need to be exact, so I cut them out very quickly. The kids also needed a piece of blank paper, a pair of scissors, a small piece of green paper, a pencil, and a glue stick.


The kids started out by drawing a pumpkin shape onto the blank piece of paper.


The kids cut out stems and used glue to add them to their pumpkins. Then they got to work adding tissue paper to their pumpkin shapes.


My kids wrapped the tissue pieces around the eraser part of pencils and rubbed the tissue against the glue stick. Then they used the pencils to press the tissue onto the pumpkin shapes.


The color filled in little by little.



And the pumpkins were complete when the tissue covered the entire shape with color (or when the kids were happy with the result).


I think the kids did pretty well! They were so excited to be doing an art project that they kept going until their shapes were covered. And I like how their pumpkins are so different! I look forward to more artistic projects with the kids!

1 comment: