Monday, December 26, 2011

Moves Like Jagger T-shirt


I wanted to make each of my kids at least one handmade gift this year for Christmas, and since my son loves to get his groove on to "Moves Like Jagger," I figured I'd make him a t-shirt to share his love of it to the world. I used a simple freezer paper stencil for this project. I find the stencils a rewarding way to make a very personal t-shirt.



I printed out the desired words and gathered the rest of the supplies needed for the project: freezer paper, a thin Sharpie marker, a t-shirt, a piece of cardboard, fabric paint, an iron, a craft knife and cutting mat, and a sponge brush.


Freezer paper isn't opaque, so I was able to lay the freezer paper over my printed out words and traced the words using the thin Sharpie marker on the non-shiny side of the paper.


Next, I placed the traced image onto my cutting mat and then used a craft knife to cut out the letters.


I cut the centers out of the "o's" and set them aside before cutting around the outside of the "o's." The "o" centers needed to be kept and added back to the graphic later.


I positioned the freezer paper stencil onto the shirt along with its "o" centers. Using a dry, hot iron, I smoothed the iron over the freezer paper. When heated up, the shiny side of the freezer paper melts and attaches the stencil to the shirt creating a barrier.


Once the paper cooled completely, I placed a piece of cardboard inside the shirt to protect the shirt's back. Then I squirted some fabric paint onto the stencil and pressed my sponge brush into the paint to "load" it.


Then I applied paint to the stenciled letters by "pouncing" the sponge brush onto the letters. The stencil should create sharp edges, but to be on the safe side, I like to dab the paint this way to avoid causing the paint to seep under the stencil.


I kept adding paint until the entire image was covered. (At this point I washed my sponge brush. Those things can get pretty gnarly if you don't wash them off right away.)


While the paint was still wet, I carefully pealed away the stencil.


I used my craft knife to pop off the centers of the "o's." And then I let the shirt dry as directed on the fabric paint bottle. Some paints require setting with an iron, so be sure to check the paint instructions before you start.




And that was it: a personalized shirt perfect for my boogie-ing boy! The same method can be used to create a shirt with any quote, lyric, saying,... whatever. Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment