Tuesday, January 3, 2012

8-bit Cross Stitch


I have a love for all things pixelated. Heck, I even have another blog devoted to all things pixel-related. So it seemed pretty natural for me to fuse cross stitch -- an old form of creating pixel-based art -- with 8-bit characters from one of my favorite games, Super Mario Bros.



I made the patterns for my cross stitching by finding images online and transferring those images onto graph paper.


Then it was just a matter of doing the work. I used 16-count white aida cloth and then I picked out eight colors of embroidery floss to complete all of the works. It was slow work, as cross stitch always is, but so much fun to see the images come together.



I decided to use an old frame I had gotten on sale several years ago but that I hadn't used since moving to my new home.



I'll probably hang them in my son's room somewhere, but right now, I'm having problems parting with them! Oh, how I love Mario Bros! I guess I can always make more!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing. I love the idea of using graph paper to plot the stitching; I'm going to use it to make 8-bit afgans in crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I'm so glad my method will come in handy for you!

      Delete