Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cat In The Hat Costume


I almost forgot. Almost. But I remembered right at the last moment, and although the last moment doesn't always make for the most elaborate creations, sometimes the last moment is an opportunity to prove the old adage correct: necessity is the mother of invention.


My son had "book character day" at school. I forgot until just before bed the night before. But I had red and white felt, white gloves from my daughter's Hello Kitty costume, and a pair of old tights. So I quickly sewed together a hat -- yes, I realize there's a stripe missing, but I just started sewing a couple months ago, and I created the darn thing in 45 minutes without a pattern, so I'm still pretty proud of it. I made a bow and a tail, and safety-pinned them to my son whom I dressed in black.


I know he doesn't look excited in the pictures, but take my word for it, he was! In fact, he was so excited that he wore the costume all day... even in the grocery store!

When I dropped my son off at school that morning, he was the only kid I saw wearing a costume. I guess most of the other parents forgot, too. But I remembered.

He'll remember it, too!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! You should do a tutorial of the hat. I love this. My middle daughter said the same thing, "That is awesome. Scroll down."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cristy (and daughter)! I'll have to see what I can do for a hat tutorial -- I made it so quickly that I can't remember what I did to create it!

      Delete