Thursday, July 12, 2012

Easing Her Surgery

after some x-rays

My poor little girl broke her elbow on Monday while learning how to "safety fall" from the beam at gymnastics. It's always hard to see my babies in pain, and unfortunately, my daughter has had more than her fair share of visits to the hospital. Just this year my daughter has battled MRSA, a spiral fracture of her tibia, countless physical therapy visits, an ongoing struggle with amblyopia (which has required an eye patch for much of the year), and now this. But through it all, my daughter has remained much stronger than I. I feel so weak, but I have felt so much more secure knowing that we have medical insurance -- I am so very thankful for that.

splint, sling, & bracelets

I think that all of my daughter's medical problems have helped my creative spontaneity. When my child is suffering, my parental instincts kick in and all I can think of are ways to help my child feel better. Some ideas work, some don't, and every child is different.

an arm-cast-worthy wardrobe


*    *    *

Yesterday, the doctors decided my daughter needs surgery on her elbow. This idea made my daughter wilt into a pile of tears.

I held my girl close to me and I began to tell her what it would be like:

"You will get to lie down on a table with wheels on the bottom, kind of like a giant skateboard, and the doctors will give you some medicine that will make you very sleepy..."

My daughter looked up at me with her big brown eyes.

"... And sometimes, you get so sleepy that you get to have some fun dreams. Maybe you will start to dream of Hello Kitties.. with wings... flying under a rainbow..."

And my daughter began to giggle.

"... And before you know it, you'll wake up and it'll be all over and we can go back home..."

 *    *    *


After my kids went to bed I found the perfect gift to give my daughter for surgery day...


I love you baby girl. I hope you have pleasant dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment