Friday, July 6, 2012

Lightsaber Bubble Wands


I put together a fun Star Wars themed birthday party for my son while I was on my "blogging break." I can't say that I made many projects for my son's party that were completely original -- there are a ton of blog posts out there on Star Wars parties! But as far as I know, this idea is mine: I turned bubble wands into lightsabers for party favors.

I used inexpensive bubble wands I found at Michaels (originally $1.99 each, marked down to $0.99), but I did find other wands at Target (around $2), and smaller versions at Dollar Tree. I've also seen them at Oriental Trading, but I don't know how they compare. I liked the shape of the ones from Michaels the best, so I snatched them up when I had the chance!


My son was insistent that I pick up only "lightsaber colors," and from his experience, this meant blue, purple, red, and green. I think that Yoda actually had an orange one at one point, but I didn't get any of that color. I also didn't have red as a choice, but I figured pink was close enough.


Then I taped around the base of the sabers by the handles and used about three coats of plastic spray paint to paint the handles black. I used glasses inside of a box to prop the bubble wands up for drying between coats.



Next I used some silver tape I had left over from a wedding project to add some silver accents around the lightsaber handles.



That was it! Later, I tied on some "thank you" tags and the lightsabers were ready for kids to take as they left the party.


I don't recommend giving these out during the party unless you plan on getting bubble solution everywhere -- the bubble wands don't seem strong enough to stay sealed during battles. But I will say that the wands I picked up make fantastic bubbles! My daughter has a difficult time blowing bubbles, but these are a breeze! And they were definitely a hit with the kids. Everyone was excited to bring a lightsaber home!

I'll try to post more Star Wars party ideas soon! Happy party planning!


8 comments:

  1. You did an excellent job! I was able to find these wands from Michael's, but mine look shorter. I wish I can see how much oz/ml is written on the packaging in one your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pia! I'm not sure what the oz/ml were, I guess I should have checked before I threw away the packaging! I just dug up one of the ones we had left over from the party though and they measure about 14 3/4 inches long.

      Delete
  2. I made an amazin lightsaber with the bubble wands but i used led flashlight i have a video on youtube but is in sapnish because i don't espeak english .the kids love it!!.... A todos les encanto la idea . El cumpleano fue todo un exito!!...the party was a succes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to youtube an look for jongobaby you will love it!! I tried to put the link here but can't

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you make the thank you tags? I have the font but can't figure out the rounded lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit the method I used probably wasn't the easiest method around. I created them in a word document by creating a rectangle with rounded corners and then used the font in two text boxes over the rectangle. Then I whited out the line behind the text boxes by creating white boxes over those sections of the rectangles... yeah... it was a pain! I'll try to put a copy of it above if you want to skip all of that!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the idea. I made these today and they came out great. I couldn't find the Fusion for Plastic Spray Paint and I was on kind of a time crunch to go to another store so I bought the chalkboard spray paint and that worked just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the inspiration! My son will love these for his 5th bday party next month! Now for the hunt of cheap bubble wands. Love the Creatology ones you scored. Oriental Trading has similar ones but for a heafty price. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete