Saturday, October 6, 2012

Simple Lego Chess Set


My son has decided he wants to be a chess player. He plays with friends during recess using a giant outdoor chess set, he checks out books about chess from the library, and he bugs me all the time to play with him. Up until last week, though, we didn't have a chess set. So my son decided we needed to make our own using one of his favorite building mediums: LEGO!

left to right: pawn, rook, knight, bishop, queen, and king

My mom (God bless her) had collected inexpensive used LEGO from yard sales a few years back, so luckily we had a bunch of basic LEGO pieces to work with. We sorted through our black and white LEGO bins and found enough common bricks to make up the chess pieces above. 


Once the pieces were assembled we found our checker board and played. And we've played almost every day since!


It's true we probably could have purchased a chess set for under $10, but we had such a fun time building our own. I'm glad my kids are learning to find creative solutions to their problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment