Thursday, November 1, 2012

Día de los Muertos Makeup


Because today is November first, the official date of Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), I figured there was no better day than today to share my costume from yesterday's festivities.

I had spent so much time on my kids costumes this year, and since I followed it with preparations for our annual pumpkin carving party, I didn't have a whole lot of time to make myself a costume. And I've been seriously bored by my costume from the last few years. Seriously... bored! I like to be unpredictable and there's just nothing unpredictable about wearing the same thing
every...
single...
 year

So this year I made myself a new costume using what I had on hand. The pack rat in me felt a little validation as I dug through some of my attic boxes for the peasant dress I knew I had up there somewhere. And I found my box of Halloween makeup with just enough time to do the makeup job pictured above. I happened to find some fake flowers (where did those come from?!?) and pinned them to my head before adding a black fringed shawl above and behind the flowers over my hair.

What did I take away from my costume experience this year?
1) It's okay for me to keep stuff if I honestly plan to use it.
2) I actually need to use my stuff.
3) Makeup can go a long way.
4) If I want to make a costume for myself I really should get started on it in September.
5) If I don't start in September I should be prepared to wear something old or face the chaos of the last minute rush.

Who knows what kind of costume adventure I'll have next year!

¡Feliz Día de los Muertos!

No comments:

Post a Comment