Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Harry Potter Costume


The elementary school my kids attend is in the middle of a week-long celebration of reading. Today, my kids had the opportunity to dress up as their favorite book characters. Since we are currently going through the Harry Potter series, my kids decided they would go to school dressed as Harry Potter and Hermione Granger.

I went for a pretty simple "plain clothes" approach to Harry Potter. I picked up a pair of glasses and a wand and a blue sweater I found at Goodwill.


The sweater was a bit big, but brand new (the tags were still on it) and 100% cotton. I decided to roll the dice and I washed the sweater in high heat to try to shrink it. It worked! Once I knew the sweater would fit my son, I printed out a large "H" and used the freezer paper method I've used in the past to add a yellow "H" to the front of the sweater.


After I added a lightening bolt scar to my son's forehead the costume was complete. My son actually refused to allow me to cut his hair for several weeks leading up to today just so his hair would look a little bit more messy for his role as Harry. I think he made a good decision because the look just wouldn't have been the same without the scruffy hair.


Tomorrow I'll post about our little Hermione!

No comments:

Post a Comment