Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cape Flattery


On our way home from our backpacking trip to Shi Shi Beach, we decided we should visit the northwesternmost point of the contiguous United States, Cape Flattery.

The trail is gentle, but can get slippery as it is mostly made up of boardwalks and stairs. You'll have to be patient if you are an experienced hiker: this spot is a popular destination, and many visitors are non hikers. Be nice! Those folks just want to check out a pretty special location!



There are some educational plaques scattered along the trail,...


and a clear lookout to Tatoosh Island.


I'm glad we went! I feel like this should have been on my travel list (I mean, really, northwesternmost corner?!?), but since it wasn't, I'll just have to add it and then cross it out. I guess I'll have to add, West Quoddy Lighthouse (northeasternmost corner), Border Field State Park (southwesternmost corner), and Key West (southeasternmost corner?). My list is getting pretty long!


Length of Hike: 1.5 miles, roundtrip

No comments:

Post a Comment