Sunday, November 2, 2014

Pokémon Flabébé Costume

She wanted to dress as the Pokémon Flabébé for Halloween, so I gave it my all!


Here's a breakdown of what I did:


1) First I sewed green fabric in a large scallop pattern to the bottom of a white hooded sweatshirt.

2) To make the yellow "crown", I stuffed Styrofoam balls into the leg of a yellow pair of children's tights until I had enough to encircle my daughter's head with her hood up. Then I wrapped yellow thread between each ball to give the balls definition. I sewed the yellow ring of balls to the hood of the sweatshirt.

3) I bent six wire hangers into the shape of the flower.

4) For the stamens, I flattened three more wire hangers, attached Styrofoam balls wrapped in small pieces of yellow tights fabric to the ends of the hangers using thread, and fished the wire through black tubing. I bent the hangers into a curved shape and twisted them onto the wire flower shape until secure.

5) I hand-sewed a lightweight red fabric to the petals of the wire flower form.

6) I hand-sewed a stretchy yellow fabric to the center of the wire flower form, cut a small circle in the center of the fabric and added an elastic band large enough to fit around my daughter's waist, but tight enough to hold up the flower "skirt."

7) For the flower's center "stigma/style," I stuffed a slightly larger Styrofoam ball into the toe of another leg of yellow tights and followed it with a piece of foam tubing, sewing it all shut at the bottom. Then I attached it to the front of the sweatshirt with safety pins.

8) The ears are thick pieces of batting material, lightweight but thick enough to stand out straight on its own. I sewed these to both the sweatshirt hood and the yellow crown for added support.

9) I added green leggings to cover her legs and serve as a stem, and I covered her shoes with a pair of green adult socks so that they'd kind of look like the leaves at the bottom of the stem.

10) White gloves and makeup were the last touch. Just white paint for her face, black around her eyes, and red for the cheeks.


I wasn't sure I'd pull this one off, but in the end, I'm really happy with how the costume came together!


No comments:

Post a Comment