Thursday, July 16, 2015

Macaulay Salmon Hatchery


We headed out early on our first day to check out Macaulay Salmon Hatchery. I love Salmon Hatcheries! We actually live by one, but this one is way bigger, and has a large fish ladder coming up from the ocean.




It was amazing seeing all of the Chum running!


My family really enjoyed the exhibits inside the hatchery as well.


My kids couldn't believe the size of the King Crab!


And touching the various sea creatures is always fun!


My son liked looking at the baby salmon tanks,


while my daughter enjoyed searching for harbor seals bobbing in the ocean.


On the way out, we picked up some salmon jerky in the gift shop. We intended to bring it back with us, but after we had some free samples, we ended up eating all of it in under five minutes. Yes, it was that good!


This was a good educational stop for my kids. My son has been to a hatchery, but my daughter has not, so it was good to get her the same exposure, and learn about an animal that is so important to Alaska's survival. I recommend this inexpensive and quick stop if you are passing by.

Price: $1.75-$3.25
What to bring: rain gear for outside exhibits
What to see: fish ladder, small aquarium, juvenile fish tanks, "touch tanks", gift shop

No comments:

Post a Comment