Sunday, January 10, 2016

Seattle Art Museum


Our adventure this week: Seattle Art Museum.


Honestly, I didn't know how this would go. The last time I took my kids to SAM, they were pretty small and they totally didn't get it. And I mean totally. As in two whiny children who were stir-crazy to leave and wouldn't let me enjoy a single moment to escape into artistic bliss. So it took me awhile to heal from my failed attempt. A long time. But when I found out the museum had an exhibit featuring some of Impressionism's most celebrated artists passing through, I decided it was time to give it another try. I'm so glad I did! This time, to my utter amazement, my kids were ready to escape into artistic bliss themselves.



We arrived just as the museum opened. The museum's complimentary coat check freed us of our coats and our backpack while we walked through the exhibits.


Once we felt our bellies rumbling, we picked up our backpack again and found some tables outside of the museum's restaurant, TASTE. The food looked fantastic there, but because we have some special dietary needs and I like to save money when I can, we brought and ate our own lunch. When we were finished, we took our things back to coat check and continued on.


Playing "I Spy" helped us slow down and take a closer look in some rooms. We also enjoyed comparing side-by-side works by different artists, picked a winner between the two artists, and then kept track of which artist had the most wins (this time it was Degas).



We had such an enjoyable time, that my kids were sad to leave. The trip was a reminder that learning happens most when a child is ready to learn. The last time we came to the museum, they clearly weren't ready, but this time, they drank of the art as though they hadn't realized how parched they were for it. I had to be patient, and I had to try again.


I can't wait to take these kids to other art museums (or back to this one) in the future!

Cost: $12.95-$19.95, 12 and under free. Special Exhibits require additional fee (around $5).
What to see: Collections representing many art styles and places including Modern, Contemporary, Native American, Asian, European, African, Ancient Mediterranean, Pacific Northwestern and so much more

No comments:

Post a Comment