Wednesday, February 17, 2016

When the Creativity Dam Breaks

My son's most recent late-night LEGO creation:
a large LEGO Minecraft skeleton.

My husband told my daughter not to stay up too late when he tucked her in last night. You see, in our family we have a problem. No matter what time my kids go to bed, they wake up early. So we try to get our kids to bed pretty early to make sure they get enough hours of sleep. The problem comes when the creativity dam breaks. My kids are a lot like me that way: sometimes the flow of creativity is so strong that we do crazy things like forgetting to eat, randomly waking up in the wee hours of the morning, or staying up way too late.

So here we are. We have a daughter that has piles of paper and pencils next to her bed because although we ask her to go to bed early, she often stays up late drawing or planning stories, and we have a son who gets up without our knowledge in the middle of the night to build with LEGO and then he puts himself back to bed. For the most part, we allow them to do it. As my daughter puts it, she could lie awake, unhappy that she can't sleep, or she can follow the path through blissful creativity. As unschoolers, we try to encourage the latter. But we also encourage sleep. We have to -- we're parents. It's all about balance, and everyone's balance is different.

I hope you all get enough rest. I also hope that some day you know the joy of following the white rabbit of creativity down the rabbit hole. You never know where it will lead!


No comments:

Post a Comment